Monday, June 19, 2017

BOOKS I'VE READ IN 2017. (pt 2)

If you missed my last blog post, this is part two of the list of books I've read so far this year. I fell off the blogging wagon and am jumping back on with some mini reviews of everything I've read up to this point. The goal is to begin reviewing every book I read starting with the 15th book of the year.

But for now, we're on number 8.

I finished Nevernight by Jay Kristoff in April.



Nevernight was one of the Bibliobook Club books, so I do have a liveshow you can check out here. I also made a book talk on this book because I LOVED it! I gave this book a full 5 out of 5 stars and I'm starting to think Jay Kristoff is inhuman.

Nevernight is about a girl named Mia Corvere who comes from high society class, but when her father is executed for treason she ends up with nothing but a shadow cat and a man who used to kill people as company.  She decides to follow in her new caregiver's footsteps, join the Church of Assassins, and avenge her father.


I then read Sad Perfect by Stephanie Elliot.



Sad Perfect is a book about a girl named Pea with an eating disorder called ARFID (Avoidant/Restrictive Food Instake Disorder). There is also a trigger warning for self harm in this book.

I gave this book another 5 out of 5 stars. I really connected with Pea. Although I've never had any sort of experience with being diagnosed with an eating disorder, the way she described food sounds a lot like how I've described foods throughout my lifetime. I've always been a picky eater and not to say that's the same thing, but it felt nice to hear someone else's view on something that has been similar to my own.

I also loved the way this book takes you on a roller coaster of a girl who needs help and thinks the boy in her life has fixed everything because now she's happy... and it all goes to hell. That's all I want to say in order to keep away from spoilers. I thought this book was great!

I also read Seas of Snow by Kerensa Jennings in April.



I was sent this book in exchange for a review, which you can watch here.

I gave this book a 4 out of 5 stars. HOLY CRAP this book was intense! This story follows a girl named Gracie growing up in a house with her mom and the uncle who visits when he decided he wants to -- only Uncle Joe is abusive to Gracie's mom and sexually abusive toward Gracie.  Gracie's next door neighbor and best friend Billy is the only one who knows and is trying to get Gracie and her mom some help.

We also follow a plot line where Billy as an adult visits his friend in hospice regularly. She doesn't remember much about what's happened to her, and when she does the memories are too painful to bear.

THE CREEPIEST part of this book though is that throughout the story, we also get Joe's perspective when he goes on the hunt as the predator that he is. It gave me the heebie jeebies any time I got to one of his parts. Blegh -- but SO good. how did Kerensa Jennings GO THERE?

Check out my haul and wrap up that includes all of these books through this link!

The last book I read in April was The Heir by Kiera Cass.



I also gave this book a 4 out of 5 stars. It was a very quick read, as the entire Selection series is, and just what I needed on my trip to San Francisco to see Hamilton!

The Heir follows the daughter of the couple who comes together during The Selection series as she has to take part in the selection herself. It's very cute and quick and why I love these books so much.

In May, I was able to finish the audiobook of Days of Blood and Starlight by Laini Taylor.



This was yet another 5 out of 5 star book for me. Something about Laini Taylor's writing is so whimsical and magical and I just want to be able to watch this book. Listening to these books is one step closer because the narrator does phenomenal things with her accents and voices. BUT JESUS imagine a tv show for this series?? please make that happen.

We can't leave the month of May without mentioning A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J Maas.



Yet another 5 star book so far in 2017. Sarah J Maas is one of my favorite authors and this book did not disappoint. While there were things I would've loved to see I also ugly cried and was so anxious throughout the entire time reading about my favorite characters in a freaking war........ MY FEELING ARE FRIED CANNOT COMPUTE.

Check out my book talk on ACOWAR here.

The last book on this very long list before I start making regular one book reviews again is The Color Project by Sierra Abrams.



I was sent an arc of this book in exchange for a review, which you can watch here. I also will be doing a spoiler-y book talk on this blog that will go up the week of this book's release (July 18th, 2017).

ONCE AGAIN, we have a 5 star book to talk about. I cannot get over this book. It's adorable and beautiful and quirky and SAD all in one little pocket of sunshine that Sierra Abrams managed to write and make whole. HOW DID YOU DO IT SIERRA?

Those are the first 14 books I've read in 2017. I'd say I've had a pretty good reading year so far - although I am like 15 books behind schedule on my goodreads challenge. It's not a problem, I'm not panicking.

I hope you guys enjoyed this little catch up on the books I've read so far. If you have any ideas for this blog, let me know what you're thinking in a comment or on twitter!

Until next time,
Kassie

No comments:

Post a Comment